Cirrhosis is a term used to describe the serious condition of the liver in which there is irreversible scarring of the liver. The liver carries out several vital functions, including detoxifiction of harmful substances in the body. Liver also purifies the blood and manufactures vital nutrients. If cirrhosis is mild it may not affect the functioning of the liver, but in the advanced stage it may cause serious problems.
Cirrhosis tend to progress in a slow manner and may not show symptoms in its early stage. However, the condition may gradually worsen over time and serious problems may develop as replaced scar tissue could block the flow of blood through the liver. Cirrhosis may eventually stop liver function and may lead to death.
Excessive alcohol consumption, viral hepatitis B and C and fatty liver disease are the major causative factors for Liver cirrhosis.
People who suffer from Cirrhosis may develop jaundice and feel extreme tiredness and itching of the skin.
The most common symptom of Cirrhosis include:
- Frequent attacks of indigestion
- Nausea and vomiting
- Itchy skin
- Abdominal pain
- Foul breath
- Red or blotchy palms
In the later stages of cirrhosis the patient’s abdomen may fill up with fluid and give the a patient large tummy. Cirrhosis can also lead to rapid heartbeat in the later stage.
The Ayurvedic texts describe liver cirrhosis as “yakrit vriddhi’. According to ayurveda the liver is the seat of pitta dosha. All types of liver disorders are caused due to the aggravated conditions of pitta.
Enormous bile production or a blockage in the flow of bile suggests hig pitta, which affects adversely affects the activities of the ‘agni’ (enzyme) responsible for digestion, metabolism and absorption.
Some useful drugs for liver cirrhosis
- Infants with liver chirrhosis should be given 1 teaspoon of Bhringaraja plant juice thrice a day
- ‘Katuki’ should be given to adults with liver cirrohosis
- It is advisable to take 2-4 tablets Arogyavardhini medicine thrice a day
- Patients should take ‘trivari’ to reduce symptoms of jaundice
- Drugs such as Triphala, Kakamachi and Vasaka are also useful in treating jaundice
It is to be noted that the treatment differs for each person according to the disease and physcial condition of the body. Treatment should be taken under only the supervision of the trained Ayurvedic practitioners.
Home remedies for Liver cirrhosis :
- Seeds of Papaya have medicinal properties to heal liver cirrhosis
- To raise the strength of the drink, add three hundred milliliter of juice to two hundred millimeter of spinach juice.