Gastric ulcer or peptic ulcer is the condition in which the gastrointestinal area becomes acidic.¬† The ulcer spreads to the gastrointestinal tract and may cause severe pain. A bacterium named Helicobacter Pylori (spiral shaped) is responsible for causing more than 80% of the ulcers. The ulcer attacks cause inflammation, sores, tiny holes, sometimes bleeding and often a great deal of gnawing, burning abdominal pain.
Main Causes of Ulcer
- Regular intake of aspirin or non-steroidal anti inflammatory drugs
- Eating excessive hot and spicy fried food.
- Heavy drinking and smoking
- Bad eating habits
- Chewing gutkha
- Excessive tea and coffee
- Pan chewing
The major symptoms of peptic ulcer are sharp and severe pain and discomfort in the upper part of abdomen. Gastric ulcer pain is usually felt after meals and rarely at night. The pain can be relieved by food, especially milk. As the disease gets worse, there is distension of the stomach due to excessive flatulence, mental tension, insomnia,and gradual weakening of the body. Blood may also be noticed in the stool.
Ayurvedic Remedies for Gastric Ulcer
- Avoid faulty food habits
- Drink more barley water and cold milk
- Reduce mental and physical strain
- Eat pure ghee – a good healer
- Avoid very hot, salty and acid foods
- Take regular meals containing high – fibre food